Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Beyond Expectations

A few years ago, I received a quick reply from Rod Muth, my former adviser and now professor emeritus, that read, "Lots of work to do to make sure future schools really do the work that they should so that all kids learn beyond expectations!"  

Reflecting upon these two words changed the way I understand the profession, and became a driving force and path to clarity in understanding and navigating the complicated world of schooling, education and reform.

beyond expectations



the seed

a letter to my former student

don't rise to meet my expectations
go beyond them

drive past my wildest dreams and wave

on the highway to your destiny
stop only to look through that window
and
figure out how to fly
metaphorically
literally
poetically
fly

I'll let you flap your wings
I'll model how to fly
brush you off when you fall
And I'll watch you learn what you were born to do

go
amaze me
surprise me
teach us all

I'll be observing 
cheering you on
supporting you with the knowledge
 and revealing to you the skills that helped me


and tomorrow
you'll find me
bragging how I knew you then

No comments: